Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Few Thoughts Before Kick-Off...

 
Its hard to believe that we are just days away from the 2011 FTC Kick-Off. Its so close, we can almost count down the hours! I feel as giddy as I did on the nights before a new school year/the start of a new job, etc. To put it simply, I am giddy. I cannot imagine what the staff at FIRST is feeling; and the Game Design Committee members, they must be over-excited.


One important note: The FTC staff and GDC member should be thanked a million times, and then thanked again. These folks work all year long on the game, in fact, they probably started brainstorming last fall. They are truly an amazing group of folks and I personally admire each and every one of them. As you read the Game Manual on Saturday, take a look at the first few pages and send a thank you to the magical/brilliant/amazing members of the GDC & FTC staff. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
To them, I say "Oink! Oink!" :-)


Kick-Off in Iowa: A Celebration
On Saturday, Sept. 10, the FTC-Iowa program is hosting its annual Kick-Off Celebration. This is our 3rd Annual Kick-Off Event, and it really is a celebration. We are celebrating the new season. We are celebrating the wonderful volunteers, who dedicate their time to FTC. We are celebrating the returning coaches who are offering FTC to their students - again. We are celebrating the rookie coaches who are willing to offer FTC to their students. We are celebrating. (We anticipate nearly 270 students/mentors/volunteers/coaches who will be celebrating with us.)
Check out the FTC-Iowa Celebration website.

Its time to "Get Over It"...
Last season, FTC-Iowa had many highs and many lows and I, personally, was not prepared to handle all of the peaks and valleys of last season. However, I got through them because of the wonderful support I received from the members of FTC-Iowa Advisory Group. To these guys, I am forever grateful. You are my brothers. :-)
In addition, the coaches and students were just amazing. You kept me going - You gave me the steam to continue. Thank you.
Its official. Its time to Get Over It.

Thank you!
A huge thank you to Rockwell Collins, as they are the Official Program Sponsor of the FTC program. In Iowa, we are very fortunate to have such a great relationship with Rockwell Collins. Their employees/retirees/interns serve as coaches, mentors and volunteers for the FTC-Iowa program. Thank you. 

Game Hints
Although Ken has revealed some Game Hints on his blog, I'm hoping for water balloons. Sorry, but I don't have any game hints. ;(

And Finally...
Good luck to the FLL teams on "Food Factor" and Jr. FLL teams on "Snack Attack". May those students continue with FIRST and we'll see them in a few years in FTC. Please wish me luck as I coach my first FLL and Jr. FLL teams. (I have REALLY been bit by the FIRST bug.)


Wishing all of the FTC teams a great Kick-Off and a wonderful season!

See you out there,
Rebecca Whitaker
FTC-Iowa Affiliate Partner